I was looking through some old notebooks yesterday and found some notes from a stake conference a while back. Most of them don't make a lot of sense, now that I don't remember the conference. But there were a couple of things that I really liked.
The first was from one of our bishops. He was talking about fast offerings. Anyway, he said "A sacrifice is not a sacrifice unless it is a sacrifice". At first I thought, well, that's stupid. But then I started thinking about it. What am I willing to sacrifice? I look at fast offerings and wonder if the amount we pay is a sacrifice or not. If it's easy for me to do is it still a sacrifice? And what will happen a few years from now? Will it still be a sacrifice? How much will I have to give for it to be a sacrifice? Interesting thoughts.
And the other quote was "prosperity without giving leads to spiritual apathy". I don't know why, but I really liked it. We are all so prosperous, even now. James was saying the other day that if you own a car, you are part of the richest 1% of the people in the world. I guess a lot of this thought can be tied back to the pride cycle. You get rich and prosperous and then you forget where the prosperity came from.
Anyway, interesting thoughts for a crazy lady...
1 comment:
I've been worried about that a lot lately. This really made me think because I pay fast offerings, but I usually pay right up to that point where I have to stretch a little. In other words, I don't make a sacrifice, I only give what I feel comfortable with. But ya know, with how much the Lord has blessed me this year and through my whole life, is it too much to ask that I give an honest sacrifice once a month? Especially if there really is gold in them dar hills... we're all going to have to get better at giving and stretching and sacrificing.
Post a Comment